To produce this demonstration painting, I started with a work I created during Spring Art Week last year.
It had a lot of beautiful blues and some interesting shapes, but it was flat, and I didn’t know where to take it next. I put it on my easel when one of the first groups of children came in this year.
Class members were wearing wonderful hats with antennas on them. Inspired, I invited them to come up one at a time. I handed each of my volunteers a brush loaded with orange.
At my urging, students painted the creatures they were wearing. I ended up with some great orange shapes on top of the orignal blue abstract. Between sessions, I added glazes of rich blue-green to tone down the orange in spots and pull the work together.